This Vegetable & Gruyere Strata will make the perfect addition to your family holiday brunch lineup!
- 2 tbsp Big Horn UP, Garlic, Tuscan Herb, or Herbs de Provence Olive Oil
- 2 medium shallots minced
- 6 cups (approx. 1/2 loaf) day old Italian loaf bread cubed
- 1 cup trimmed asparagus spears
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp each, dried dill and thyme
- 1/8 tsp each, dried garlic and onions powders
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan, melt butter. Add shallot and a pinch of salt and sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until tender and translucent.
- Remove from heat and stir in asparagus spears and bread pieces; stir until well combined.
- Transfer bread mixture into a 9×9 baking dish and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and seasonings. Sprinkle in cheese, bits at a time, so as not to clump.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread and garnish with tomatoes. Cover with foil and chill overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- The following day, remove from fridge and let rest at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until top is golden and eggs are set.